Smithville recognized for “Outstanding Leadership,” high performance by Indiana Telecommunications Association
FRENCH LICK – Smithville, Indiana’s largest privately-held telecommunications company, was recognized by the Indiana Telecommunications Association (ITA) for providing “outstanding leadership” and high performance to its customers and to the industry, according John Koppin, ITA president. The formal recognition came in the form of the association’s annual Company of the Year award, which is presented to an ITA Category I or II member for exemplary performance during the previous 12 months, Koppin said.
“Smithville has consistently demonstrated an industry leadership position in new technology adoption through its high-speed Fiber-to-the-Premise program to its customers across the state of Indiana,” Koppin said. In addition to expanding into the Evansville business enterprise market and working on completing its $90 million high-speed fiber-optic Indiana rebuild, Smithville has achieved numerous accomplishments over the past 12 months, including:
- Developing and sustaining high-speed fiber broadband service offering of gigabit connectivity (scalable for business enterprises up to 8 gigabits)
- Being named a national Top 100 Broadband Properties Award for a fourth consecutive year – awarded by the Broadband Communities Magazine (joining companies like Google, Comcast and other very large telecom companies – a rare accomplishment for a privately held company of Smithville’s size).
- Lead Sponsor – Indiana University MultiVisions Conference – Bringing industry experts and Telecommunications students together for future educational and job placement opportunities.
- Ongoing recognized national advocate for fiber-to-the-premise broadband development
- Title Sponsor and organizing partner for IU Gaming’s LAN WAR competition events (Largest competitions of its kind in the Midwest) – developing the market by identifying consumer need through some of the market’s largest consumers of sustainable, high-speed bandwidth.
- Revamped and rebranded retail locations under “The Smithville Store” name
- Expanded home networking, cell phone and accessories, HDTVs, and consumer electronics product lines in both retail locations
- 188% Increase in retail sales over 2011
- Expanded Cellular plans and special promotions – resulting in the addition of 122 new line activations.
- Named Owen County Chamber of Commerce Business of the Year for 2012 – For our continued support of education, business and charitable organizations of Owen County, Indiana and Associate Member of the Month – September 2012 – Monroe County Builders Association
“We work very hard at Smithville to provide the latest technology and services to our customers, so this type of peer recognition is both satisfying and humbling,” said Ms. Darby McCarty, chairman and CEO of Smithville. “We will continue to strive to provide the best in the industry.”
McCarty received the award on behalf of Smithville from Koppin during the recent ITA state convention at French Lick, Indiana.