Terms and Conditions
Effective April 1, 2020 Fiber Service
- “Fiber Service” – A product through which the Wholesaler can deliver data services to their Customers using Smithville’s physical fiber infrastructure.
- “Wholesaler” – The purchaser of Fiber Services for their Customers through Smithville Communications’ network.
- “Customer” – A home or business purchasing the Fiber Service through the Wholesaler.
- Fiber Service provides digital connectivity to a high-speed data link for residence or business service Customers.
- Fiber Service is provided by utilizing Gigabit Passive Optical Network (GPON) technology. GPON is a network technology that utilizes fiber with multiplexed traffic from the Smithville’s central offices and cabinets which is distributed through a passive splitter in the field to each Customer to provide high-speed data access.
- Fiber Service utilizes an Optical Line Terminal (OLT) equipment in the central office and an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) at the Customer location.
- Fiber Service, as transmitted and received by the OLT, is asymmetrical in that more bandwidth is delivered downstream to the Customer than is delivered upstream from the Customer back to the network However, the service can be configured in such a manner as to offer symmetrical data services to the Customer through oversubscription.
1. Provision of Service
a. Fiber Service is provisioned over Smithville Communications’ (“Smithville”) existing end user facilities to provide a connection between the Customer’s premises and Smithville’s central offices and cabinets.
b. Smithville does not undertake to originate data, but offers the use of its service components, where available, to Customers for the purpose of transporting customer-originated data.
c. Fiber Service is provided subject to availability and limitations of Smithville’s central offices/cabinets and outside plant facilities and is only available where technical capabilities permit.
d. Smithville will not provision Fiber Service if Smithville reasonably determines that it is not technically feasible over existing facilities or that will cause interference problems with existing service.
e. During network maintenance and software update periods, it may be necessary for Smithville to interrupt Fiber Service. Smithville reserves the right to temporarily interrupt Fiber Service at other times and in emergency situations.
2. Temporary Suspension of Service
Temporary suspension of Fiber Service is not offered.
3. Minimum Service Period
The minimum service period for Fiber Service is one month.
4. Responsibility of the Company
• Smithville will provision Fiber Service for the Customer up to and including the end user’s Optical Network Terminal (ONT).
• Smithville will collect network traffic from Customers and deliver it to a meeting point in the network.
5. Responsibility of The Wholesaler
a. The Wholesaler is responsible for providing compatible Customer Premise Equipment (CPE) to connect to Smithville’s Fiber Service.
b. The Wholesaler is responsible for providing Smithville with the necessary information to provide Fiber Service including, but not limited to, Customer name, Customer address, and any network information required to provision services.
c. The Wholesaler is responsible for submitting requests for disconnection of Fiber Service to Customers as needed.
d. The Wholesaler is responsible for obtaining permission from its subscribers for Smithville’s employees or agents to enter the Customer’s premises at any reasonable hour for the purpose of installing, inspecting, repairing, or upon termination of Fiber Service, removing the service components of Smithville.
e. The Wholesaler is responsible for providing a data connection to Smithville that will send and receive the network traffic to and from Customers. Smithville is under no obligation to monitor capacity on the connection.
f. The Wholesaler is responsible for preventing illegal access to their computers and networks and shall maintain an Acceptable Use Policy with Customers that forbids abuse and fraudulent use of Smithville’s Fiber Services.
g. Fiber Services may only be used for lawful purposes and in a manner which does not violate any law or infringe upon any copyright, trademark, trade secret, right of publicity or privacy. Smithville is under no obligation to monitor information transmitted to or from its Wholesaler’s subscribers.
h. If it is determined that Fiber Service is subject to federal jurisdiction, Fiber Service, terms, conditions, rates and charges will be subject to a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) tariff filing.
Rates and Charges
The following rates and charges apply to the Wholesaler for Fiber Services:
No Term (month to month)
Early Termination Charge
There are no early termination charges.